About KIET Talent hunt and Support program (KTS)
PAF-KIET Talent-hunt and Support program (KTS) offers training and scholarship to prospective students who aspire to undertake engineering education. Students enrolled in KTS program will experience a glimpse of four-years engineering degree through a series of extensive training sessions. Selected students will be offered generous fee waiver to attend KTS program, followed by need-cum-merit based scholarship to undergo engineering education at PAF-KIET.
KTS is a not-for-profit program. In fact, it is being substantially funded by PAF-KIET. The primary motivation of this program is to reduce to effect of weak financial and/or educational background for otherwise bright students to become engineers.
Benefits for students to attend KTS
- Scholarship during KTS: Bright students will study KTS program on scholarship. KTS fees is already 30% lesser than normal engineering program. More fee waiver will be awarded to selected students based on the KTS admission test. For exact scholarship details, see link.
- Scholarship during Engineering: High achievers of KTS program will be offered need-cum-merit based scholarships to pursue engineering degree at PAF-KIET. For exact scholarship details, see link.
- Training to start engineering education: Students will be trained to start engineering degree. Basics of Physics, Mathematics and English will be revised. Engineering related subjects will also be introduced such as Introduction to engineering tools, computer programming and digital logic design. Moreover, students will also receive mentoring sessions about different aspects of engineering education. For details of training courses, see link
- Get a glimpse of semester-based system and engineering education: Many students face difficulties when they move from annual system (generally followed in FSc) to semester-based system (generally followed in all Pakistani universities). Through KTS program, students will get ample amount of time to adjust themselves with semester-based system. They will also get accustomed to engineering education and general ambiance at an engineering school.
- Judge your caliber for engineering education: After spending initial few semesters in an engineering school, sometimes very bright students come to realize that engineering education is not their passion. They joined an engineering school without serious deliberation, probably due to family or social pressures. They now lack motivation and caliber to further pursue engineering education. However, after spending considerable time and money at an engineering school, now it appears to be a very difficult decision to drop-out of engineering education and pursue a different academic program. KTS program will help a student to judge his caliber for engineering education by spending only 4 months at an engineering school. The earlier the aversion is diagnosed, the better it is for the student as well as for the institute. In short, a student can judge his/her caliber for engineering education through KTS.
Purpose and benefits for the institute to launch KTS
- Improve academic excellence of our students: The primary purpose of KTS is to improve academic excellence of students in our engineering programs. Students who will secure good grades during KTS program will be given scholarships for engineering programs. As per the rules of PEC and HEC, we are required to take only a fixed number of students once a year in our engineering programs. So the purpose to launch KTS is not to increase number of our students, but to improve quality of students.
- Search for talented students who can undergo engineering education: Generally admission tests are meant to select the bright students, and reject the weaker students. However, the admission procedure, many a times, rejects talented and capable students who somehow had a weak educational background in the past. KIET Talent hunt and Support program will counter this effect. It is an opportunity for weak (but talented and motivated) students to undertake engineering education. KTS program will train and judge the true caliber and motivation of students during a 16 weeks training program. However the minimum percentage requirement of 60% in FSc must be met.
- KTS program is a not for profit program: KTS fees is already 30% lesser than the fees of normal engineering programs. More fee waiver for enrollment in the KTS program will be offered on the basis of KTS admission test. Performance in the KTS program will be used to award need-cum-merit based scholarships to do engineering at PAF-KIET.
KTS Training Duration:
16 weeks training program
Training courses taught during KTS
- English – 2 contact hours per week: This course focuses on improving English oral and written communication skills. They will be learning 1000 new words to improve their vocabulary. The students will be taught how to improve their thinking necessary to improve their writings. They will also be taught how to use idiomatic structures, proverbs and words from other languages to bring an edge to their composition. Students will also review business communication and ethics.
- Mathematics – 2 contact hours per week: Details to be announced soon.
- Physics – 2 contact hours per week: Details to be announced soon.
- Introduction to engineering simulation tools – 3 contact hours per week: This course covers fundamentals of two very important Engineering tools i-e MATLAB and LabVIEW. The students will be able to learn the structure and feasibility of the software along with their applications both in academic and industrial. Course contents include but are not limited to following: Introduction to Matlab environment, use of mathematical functions, plotting, matrix manipulation, linear equations, m files, conditional and iterative constructs, Introduction to LabView environment, opening and running VI, graphs, writing conditional and iterative constructs in LabView etc.
- Introduction to computer language programming – 3 contact hours per week: This course focuses on giving a flavor of programming by teaching Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) using Excel. Students will learn principles of programming by developing small VBA based macros for Excel. Students will learn about different functionalities of Excel, integration of VBA macros in Excel, accessing Excel cells through VBA, variable declaration, conditional statement, loops, functions, etc. Interesting easy to understand programming examples are accompanied.
- Introduction to digital logic design – 3 contact hours per week: This course will give a theoretical and practical introduction about digital circuits. Course contents include but are not limited to following: Logic gates, bread-board and digital logic trainers, soldering, use of oscilloscope, Introduction to Proteus simulator, adders, latch, flip-flops, counters, etc. Students will also learn to develop medium level examples such as logic circuit to control a small elevator, automobile alarm circuit, developing a digital clock, etc.
- Mentoring sessions – 2 contact hours per week: These are primarily interactive sessions between students and teachers. The topics discussed during mentoring include but are not limited to following: Benefits of PEC registration number, dynamics of semester system, GPA calculation, course selection, introductory talk by prominent faculty members, research activities at PAF-KIET, academic events at PAF-KIET, academic and administrative rules for students at PAF-KIET, time management, personal vision, etc
- Participation in Engineering related events at CoE: Selected students will also get a chance to participate in two major engineering related events planned at College of Engineering in Fall 2017. Namely an (i) International IEEE Sponsored conference, INTELLECT, (ii) Student Engineering Exhibition, SEE
KTS Training Fees and Fee waiver
- KTS Total tuition fees : Rs 40,000
- KTS Scholarship: Based on KTS test and interview, top 10% candidates, from the total who join KTS program, will get 85% tuition fee waiver. Next top 10% candidate will get 40% tuition fee waiver.
- Scholarship for Engineering Degree: After completion of KTS semester, each student will earn some grade, termed as KTS CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average). Top 10% candidates who attain >=3.5 CPGA in KTS Training will be eligible for need-cum-merit scholarship for the entire four years duration of engineering degree from PAF-KIET. However, continuation of scholarship will be guaranteed if the student maintains a CGPA >=3.5 during engineering semesters. Need-cum-merit scholarship means that students will be given scholarship subject to their CGPA and family financial background. This scholarship may range between 20% to 85% of tuition fees.